- BUILDING MATERIALS AND PRODUCTS
- Method For Determining The Elastic Modulus Of Reinforced Soils In Laboratory Conditions
- UDC 625.81:691.5 DOI: 10.33622/0869-7019.2020.12.93-99
Anna A. STEPANENKO, e-mail: email@example.com
Aleksandr V. RUDYH, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nadezda A. SLOBODCHIKOVA, e-mail: email@example.com
Irkutsk National Research Technical University, ul. Lermontova, 83, Irkutsk 664074, Russian Federation
Abstract. The modulus of elasticity is one of the main physical and mechanical characteristics of the material, which is used in the calculation of the design of road pavements of auto roads. In our country, the calculation of road pavements for auto roads is carried out in accordance with the requirements of a regulatory document that does not contain data on the modulus of elasticity of soils reinforced with lime and complex binders. At present, in Russia there is no method for determining the elastic modulus of substrates and coatings from soils reinforced with an inorganic binder in laboratory conditions. The absence of these recommendations does not allow to select the mixture with the specified design values of the modulus of elasticity and, accordingly, provide the required values of the modulus of elasticity when constructing road pavements. In laboratory conditions, using the developed method, soil samples common for the territory of the Irkutsk region were taken. Soil compositions are selected and the modulus of elasticity is determined. Portland cement and lime were added as binders. The methodology proposed by the authors will make it possible to obtain materials with specified elastic modulus values and thereby improve the quality of design and construction of road pavements from soils reinforced with inorganic binders.
Key words: modulus of elasticity of reinforced soil, inorganic binding materials, road pavements, auto roads.
1. Kestler M. A. Stabilization selection guide for aggregate and native-surfaced low volume roads. U. S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), 2009. 93 p.
2. Avtomobil'nye dorogi i mosty. Stroitel'stvo konstruktivnykh sloev dorozhnykh odezhd iz gruntov, ukreplennykh vyazhushchimi materialami: obzornaya informaciya [Roads and bridges. Construction of structural layers of pavement from soils reinforced with cementitious materials]. Moscow, 2007, iss. 3, 47 p. (In Russian).
3. Vdovin E. A., Mavliev L. F., Stroganov V. F. Ways to improve the effectiveness of soil strengthening for the construction of pavements. Vestnik SibADI, 2013, iss. 1(29), pp. 52-58. (In Russian).
4. Podolskiy V. P., Nguen Van Long, Nguen Dyk Shi. On the possibility of expanding the resource base of road construction due to stabilization and strengthening of soils. Nauchnyy vestnik Voronezhskogo gosudarstvennogo arkhitekturno-stroitel'nogo universiteta. Stroitel'stvo i arkhitektura, 2014, no. 1(33), pp. 102-111. (In Russian).
5. Field manual No. 5-410. Chap. 9. FHWA. Change 1, 4. June 1997. 344 p.
6. Lime-treated soil construction manual lime stabilization and lime modification. NLA. Lime The Versatile Chemical, 2004. 326 p.
7. Makusa G. P. State of the art review soil stabilization methods and materials in engineering practice. Luleå University of Technology, 2012. 35 p.
8. Amhadi T. S., Assaf G. J. Overview of soil stabilization methods in road construction. Sustainable Solutions for Railways and Transportation Engineering. GeoMEast, 2018, pp. 21-23. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-01911-2_3 (accessed 15.12.2019).
9. Hummel H. U. et al. Untersuchungen zur hygromehanischen Stabilitat von kristallinem Calciumsulfat. ZKG-International, 2001. 465 S.
10. User guidelines for waste and byproduct materials in pavement construction. Available at: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/infrastructure/structures/97148/toc.cfm (accessed 24.11.2019).
11. Volkova E. V., Ivanov E. I., Nechaev D. N. Taking into account the unstabilized state of soils when assessing the spatial stability of slopes of embankments of roads. Izvestiya vuzov. Investitsii. Stroitel'stvo. Nedvizhimost, 2015, no. 2(13), pp. 45-50. (In Russian).
12. Guryachkov I. L. Strengthening loam soil with cement and fly ash. Materialy k V soveshchaniyu po zakrepleniyu i uplotneniyu gruntov [Materials for the V meeting on soil consolidation and compaction]. Novosibirsk, NIIZhT Publ., 1965, pp. 563-567. (In Russian).
13. Rogalskiy B. I. Primenenie molotoy negashenoy izvesti v stroitel'stve [The use of ground quicklime in construction]. Moscow, Gosstroyizdat, 1956. 148 p. (In Russian).
14. Fursov S. G. Compaction of soils reinforced with inorganic binders. Nauka i tekhnika v dorozhnoy otrasli, 2006, no. 4, pp. 24-26. (In Russian).
15. Yudina L. V., Turchin V. V. Contact hardening building materials based on slag, ash and soil. Izvestiya KazGASU, 2010, no. 2(14), pp. 303-307. (In Russian).
16. Design procedures for soil modification or stabilization. Production Division Office of Geotechnical Engineering. January 2008. 13 p. Available at: www.sciencedirect.com (accessed 15.12.2019).
17. Chudinov S. A. Study of the influence of technological factors on the strength of cement grounds. Vestnik PGTU. Seriya: Les. Ekologiya. Prirodopol'zovanie, 2010, no. 1, pp. 46-52. (In Russian).
18. Bavbel E. I., Naumenko A. I., Zhilinskiy M. V. Development of a composition of a low-cement composite binder for strengthening local road soils. Sciences of Europe, 2018, no. 31-1(31), pp. 43-46. (In Russian).
19. Sheyna T. V., Koren'kova S. F. Production of soil concrete for road and airfield purposes. Stroitel'nye materialy, oborudovanie, tekhnologii XXI veka, 2006, no. 2, p. 203. (In Russian).
20. Rudykh A. V. Analiz nedostatkov izvestnykh sposobov opredeleniya modulya uprugosti materiala [Analysis of the disadvantages of the known methods for determining the modulus of elasticity of the material]. Available at: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=26031671 (accessed 24.11.2019). (In Russian).
21. Rudykh A. V. Obzor sposobov opredeleniya uprugikh kharakteristik materialov [Overview of methods for determining the elastic characteristics of materials]. Available at: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=11762608 (accessed 24.11.2019). (In Russian).
- For citation: Stepanenko A. A., Rudyh A. V., Slobodchikova N. A. Method for Determining the Elastic Modulus of Reinforced Soils in Laboratory Cosnditions. Promyshlennoe i grazhdanskoe stroitel'stvo [Industrial and Civil Engineering], 2020, no. 12, pp. 93-99. (In Russian). DOI: 10.33622/0869-7019.2020.12.93-99.