- BUILDING STRUCTURES, BUILDINGS AND FACILITIES
- Stability Of The Frame Building In Case Of Column Failure (Lessons From The Tragedy Of Seoul)
- ÓÄÊ 624.046:624.016.5 DOI: 10.33622/0869-7019.2019.12.04-10
Yuriy V. KRASNOSHCHEKOV, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Siberian State Automobile and Highway University, Prospekt Mira, 5, Omsk 644080, Russian Federation
Abstract. A computational model of stability of a multi-storey frame building on the action of spacer forces arising in case of emergency failure of one of the columns with the condition of transition of the system of bending elements of overlapping in the suspension system is proposed. The calculated emergency situation is considered when the failure of the column is associated with the punching of the monolithic slab of the overlap. The results of the calculation in a situation similar to what happened in Korea, when the building of the shopping center collapsed in a matter of seconds, taking hundreds of lives, are presented. It is shown that due to the insufficient stability of the frame, the progressive collapse of this building due to the failure of one node of the column interface with the ceiling was inevitable. A variant of structural sustainability of the frame building by the installation of calculated connections in the extreme spans of each floor or through the floor, starting from the top, is given. In this case, the failure of any columns can occur without progressive collapse.
Key words: frame building, flat slab floor, column failure, punching, survivability, progressive collapse, stability, safety, suspension system.
1. UFC 4-023-03. Unified facilities criteria. Design of buildings to resist progressive collapse. Including Change 3, 2016.
2. GSA. Alternate path analysis and design guidelines for progressive collapse resistance. 2016. 48 p.
3. Almazov V. Î., Plotnikov À. I., Rastorguev B. S. Problems of resistance of buildings to progressive destruction. Vestnik MGSU, 2011, no. 2, pp. 15-20. (In Russian).
4. Kodysh E. N., Trekin N. N., Chesnokov D. À. Protection of multistory buildings from progressing collapse. Promyshlennoe i grazhdanskoe stroitel'stvo, 2016, no. 6, pp. 8-13. (In Russian).
5. Fedorova N. V., Chalina Ò. À. Study of dynamic loadings in reinforced concrete structural system at sudden structural reorganizations. Promyshlennoe i grazhdanskoe stroitel'stvo, 2017, no. 5, pp. 32-36. (In Russian).
6. Krasnoshchekov Yu. V., Zapoleva M. Yu. Osnovy proektirovaniya konstruktsiy zdaniy i sooruzheniy [Fundamentals of structural design of buildings and structures]. Moscow-Vologda, Infra-Inzheneriya Publ., 2019. 316 p. (In Russian).
7. Tichonov I. N., Kozelkov Ì. Ì. Calculation and design of reinforced concrete monolithic floors of buildings taking into account protection against progressive collapse. Beton i zhelezobeton, 2009, no. 3, pp. 2-8. (In Russian).
8. Kachurin V. Ê. Teoriya visyachikh sistem. Staticheskiy raschet [The theory of hanging systems. Static calculation]. Moscow, Gosstroyizat Publ., 1962. 224 p. (In Russian).
- For citation: Krasnoshchekov Yu. V. Stability of the Frame Building in Case of Column Failure (Lessons from the Tragedy of Seoul). Promyshlennoe i grazhdanskoe stroitel'stvo [Industrial and Civil Engineering], 2019, no. 12, pp. 4-10. (In Russian). DOI: 10.33622/0869-7019.2019.12.04-10.